Summary of request
These data are compiled from historical editions of the ‘Regional Trends’ and ‘Economic Trends’ journals which have not previously been available in an electronic format.
The dataset contains historical regional estimates for the following:
- Gross domestic product for factor cost and factor income 1966 to 1996
- Gross domestic product for expanded industries 1971 to 1996
- Total household expenditure and total household disposal expenditure 1984 to 1996
- Total personal income and total personal disposable income 1971 to 1996
- Total consumer expenditure 1976 to 1996
- Consumer expenditure by broad function 1971 to 1996
- Gross domestic fixed capital formation by selected industry group 1974 to 1995
- Gross domestic fixed capital formation by function of Government 1971 to 1988
- Taxes on expenditure and subsidies 1971 to 1980
These estimates can be used as a proxy for the current regional Gross Value Added (GVA) estimates, but should not be considered an extension of the current regional GVA time series. These data were produced under the various statistical standards, regional and industry breakdowns which were current at the time they were first published, so the followed should be noted:
- The tables showing Gross Domestic Product (GDP) were compiled as estimates of regional GDP rather than the estimates of regional GVA that are currently published.
- All tables contain UK totals relevant to the specified period.
- They use Standard Statistical Regions (SSR) and Government Offices for the Regions (GOR) rather than the current NUTS geographies.
- They use industrial breakdowns as defined in Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) versions published in 1980 and 1992. Current estimates use SIC 2007.
- The accounting methodology used was as defined by the System of National Accounts 1968 and the European System of Accounts (ESA) 1979. Current data are published using ESA 2010.
In 2017 our intention is to work with ONS methodologists to backcast the current regional GVA time series using this data. The aim being to produce a historic time series which is compatible with the current published regional GVA data. Further information regarding this will be published nearer the date.
This data represents data previously published for the top level ‘regions’ of the UK. Some further geographical breakdown and additional variables are also available in the historic journals. We aim to collate and publish these as well in the future.
Download associated with request
- Historic economic data for regions of the UK (1966 to 1996) (642.0 kB xls)