Aim of this survey
The survey of business enterprise research and development (BERD) is a statutory survey. It collects information about employment and expenditure on research and development (R&D) performed within UK businesses, for both civil and defence purposes. The data collected contribute to estimates of the resources devoted to R&D in the UK and allows for international comparisons.
What you need to know
To complete the survey, you will need the following information:
- expenditure on in-house R&D (this is R&D carried out within this business either for the business itself or for a third party).
- funding received for R&D
- purchase of R&D carried out outside this business
- the number of employees working on in-house R&D
- a breakdown of employment into scientists & engineers, technicians and other supporting staff
All information you provide is strictly confidential.
Selection criteria: UK trading and profit-making businesses that are registered for VAT and/or PAYE
Population: approximately: 40,000
Sample: approximately: 4,000
Dispatch date: 12 February
Return-by date: 31 March
Dispatch and return-by dates are a guide. They are subject to change due to national holidays and weekends.
Why you were selected
Your business has been selected from a register of businesses in the UK that have been identified as performing or intending to perform research and development (R&D). Your response ensures we accurately measure R&D in the UK.
The survey of business enterprise research and development is conducted under the provisions of the Statistics of Trade Act 1947. Once selected, your business is legally obliged to comply. You cannot appeal your selection.
How to complete this survey
Please complete and return the questionnaire following the guidelines on the front page.
Reminders are issued automatically, so you may receive one if you submit data just before or after the return date.
At the moment, this survey is not available to complete online. We are currently developing a secure online collection platform. You will receive a letter notifying you when you can complete the R&D survey on our new platform. We appreciate your patience.
If you need help
If your question is not answered above, you may be able to find the answer on the About ONS business surveys page.
Alternatively, should you need help:
- call 0300 1234 940 - please enter the three-digit survey ID 002
- call from outside the UK: +441633 810495
- Er mwyn gwneud cais am ffurflen Gymraeg (to speak to someone in Welsh): 0300 1234 921