The classification provides a framework for the collection, tabulation, presentation and analysis of data, and its use promotes uniformity.
In addition, it can be used for administrative purposes and by non-government bodies as a convenient way of classifying industrial activities into a common structure.
Since 1948 the classification has been revised in 1958, 1968, 1980, 1992, 1997 and 2003.
Main volume (1.3 Mb Pdf)
Summary of structure
- Summary of structure - document (199.7 Kb Excel sheet)
- Summary of structure - worksheet (156.1 Kb Excel sheet)
Index, alphabetical and numerical (the original version - as published in 2008)
Previous revisions and correlations (1.84 Mb Excel sheet)
Correlation between UK SIC 2003 and UK SIC 2007 (182.5 Kb Excel sheet)
Weighted tables with percentages UK SIC 03 - UK SIC 07 (282 Kb Excel sheet)
Weighted tables with percentages UK SIC 07 - UK SIC 03 (279 Kb Excel sheet)
From 20 September 2019, the ONS no longer supports requests from individual companies requesting the appropriate Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code. If you require an SIC code for your company, please see the resources available on this page, including the SIC Main Volume (PDF 1.3 MB), Index (XLS 913 KB) and Interactive Hierarchy. Any questions relating to a form or application that you are completing should be directed to the issuing body. Please note, as UK SIC is a statistical classification, we will continue to assist with any queries you have in respect to the framework, structure or methodology of the system. These queries should be directed to email@example.com.
Office for National Statistics Classifications Unit Government Buildings Cardiff Road Newport South Wales NP10 8XG
You might also be interested in:
- Main volume (1.3 MB pdf)
- Annual Business Inquiry industry groupings (15.4 kB pdf)
- Indexes with addendum (December 2022) (901.4 kB xlsx)
- Index, alphabetical and numerical (the original version - as published in 2008) (1.8 MB pdf)
- Summary of Structure for UK SIC 2007 (199.7 kB xls)
- UK SIC 2007 Summary of Structure Worksheet (156.1 kB xlsx)