Many who have previously served in the UK armed forces will be older males because of National Service. We applied extra quality assurance to correct some answers from currently serving personnel.
Read more about this quality notice.
This dataset provides Census 2021 estimates that classify households in England and Wales by the number of people in the household who have previously served in the UK armed forces. The estimates are as at Census Day, 21 March 2021.
Following analysis after publishing topic summaries data, we released data at extra geography levels for some datasets.
Variable and dataset information
Census 2021 statistics are published for a number of different geographies. These can be large, for example the whole of England, or small, for example an output area (OA), the lowest level of geography for which statistics are produced.
For higher levels of geography, more detailed statistics can be produced. When a lower level of geography is used, such as output areas (which have a minimum of 100 persons), the statistics produced have less detail. This is to protect the confidentiality of people and ensure that individuals or their characteristics cannot be identified.
Lower Tier Local Authorities
Lower tier local authorities provide a range of local services. In England there are 309 lower tier local authorities. These are made up of non-metropolitan districts (181), unitary authorities (59), metropolitan districts (36) and London boroughs (33, including City of London). In Wales there are 22 local authorities made up of 22 unitary authorities. Of these local authority types, only non-metropolitan districts are not additionally classified as upper tier local authorities.
Census 2021 statistics are published for the whole of England and Wales. However, you can choose to filter areas by:
- country - for example, Wales
- region - for example, London
- local authority - for example, Cornwall
- health area – for example, Clinical Commissioning Group
- statistical area - for example, MSOA or LSOA
Number of people in household who previously served in UK armed forces
Number of people in the household who have previously served in the UK armed forces. This includes those who have served for at least one day in armed forces, either regular, reserves or Merchant Mariners who have seen duty on legally defined military operations.
Get the data
Protecting personal data
Sometimes we need to make changes to data if it is possible to identify individuals. This is known as statistical disclosure control.
In Census 2021, we:
- swapped records (targeted record swapping), for example, if a household was likely to be identified in datasets because it has unusual characteristics, we swapped the record with a similar one from a nearby small area (very unusual households could be swapped with one in a nearby local authority)
- added small changes to some counts (cell key perturbation), for example, we might change a count of four to a three or a five – this might make small differences between tables depending on how the data are broken down when we applied perturbation
Read more in Section 5 of our article Design for Census 2021.
|Release date||Reason for update|
Bookmark or copy the link to return to this dataset