This dataset provides Census 2021 estimates on the number of cars or vans available to members of households for England and Wales. The estimates are as at Census Day, 21 March 2021.
Variable and dataset information
Census 2021 statistics are published for a number of different geographies. These can be large, for example the whole of England, or small, for example an output area (OA), the lowest level of geography for which statistics are produced.
For higher levels of geography, more detailed statistics can be produced. When a lower level of geography is used, such as output areas (which have a minimum of 100 persons), the statistics produced have less detail. This is to protect the confidentiality of people and ensure that individuals or their characteristics cannot be identified.
Lower tier local authorities
Lower tier local authorities provide a range of local services. There are 309 lower tier local authorities in England made up of 181 non-metropolitan districts, 59 unitary authorities, 36 metropolitan districts and 33 London boroughs (including City of London). In Wales there are 22 local authorities made up of 22 unitary authorities.
Census 2021 statistics are published for the whole of England and Wales. However, you can choose to filter areas by:
- country - for example, Wales
- region - for example, London
- local authority - for example, Cornwall
- health area – for example, Clinical Commissioning Group
- statistical area - for example, MSOA or LSOA
Car or van availability
The number of cars or vans owned or available for use by household members.
* pick-ups, camper vans and motor homes
* vehicles that are temporarily not working
* vehicles that have failed their MOT
* vehicles owned or used by a lodger
* company cars or vans if they're available for private use
Vehicles not included:
* motorbikes, trikes, quad bikes or mobility scooters
* vehicles that have a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
* vehicles owned or used only by a visitor
* vehicles that are kept at another address or not easily accessed
The number of cars or vans in an area relates only to households. Cars or vans used by communal establishment residents are not counted.
Households with 10 to 20 cars or vans are counted as having only 10.
Households with more than 20 cars or vans were treated as invalid and a value imputed.
Get the data
Protecting personal data
Sometimes we need to make changes to data if it is possible to identify individuals. This is known as statistical disclosure control.
In Census 2021, we:
- swapped records (targeted record swapping), for example, if a household was likely to be identified in datasets because it has unusual characteristics, we swapped the record with a similar one from a nearby small area (very unusual households could be swapped with one in a nearby local authority)
- added small changes to some counts (cell key perturbation), for example, we might change a count of four to a three or a five – this might make small differences between tables depending on how the data are broken down when we applied perturbation
Read more in Section 5 of our article Design for Census 2021.
|Release date||Reason for update|
Bookmark or copy the link to return to this dataset