You asked

Could you please provide a breakdown of the UK population by postcode area? That is, the population in each post code area throughout the UK.

We said

Thank you for your email requesting data pertaining to a breakdown of the UK population by postcode area.

The Office for National Statistics has not published data at postcode level for the United Kingdom.

England and Wales

The information you have requested is available for England and Wales, and is published as Table KS101EW, available to download from the Nomis website. The population estimates are based on data from the 2011 Census and refer to the usual resident population on census day, 27th March 2011. A usual resident is anyone, who on census day, was in the UK and had stayed or intended to stay in the UK for a period of 12 months or more, or had a permanent UK address and was outside the UK and intended to be outside the UK for less than 12 months. Please note steps have been taken by the Office for National Statistics to protect the confidentiality of personal information.

Table KS101EW Usual Resident Population: Selecting the "Query data" button will enable you to select an appropriate geography (postcode area/district/sector).

ONS published statistics for the UK population (at various geographical levels, but not postcode level) are available from:

If you have any further questions may I suggest that, rather than using the Freedom of Information route, you contact Census Customer Services directly. They will be glad to deal with any census related queries and the process is much speedier.

Tel: +44 (0)1329 444972
Census Customer Services: ONS, Titchfield, Fareham, Hants, PO15 5RR

Should you wish to consider commissioning a bespoke table, Census Customer Services will be able to advise you on the procedure and the associated costs:


Data for Scotland is available from the webpage: I suggest that you contact National Records of Scotland, 2011 Census team for further details:

Northern Ireland

Data for Northern Ireland is available from the webpage: I suggest that you contact Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) for further details: