- Usual residents
- Upper Tier Local Authorities
- Change Area type
- Change Coverage
- Asian, Asian British or Asian Welsh: Bangladeshi
- Asian, Asian British or Asian Welsh: Chinese
- Asian, Asian British or Asian Welsh: Indian
- Mixed or Multiple ethnic groups: White and Asian
- Mixed or Multiple ethnic groups: White and Black African
- Mixed or Multiple ethnic groups: White and Black Caribbean
- Other ethnic group: Arab
- Other ethnic group: Any other ethnic group
- Does not apply
Variable and dataset information
Census 2021 statistics are published for a number of different geographies. These can be large, for example the whole of England, or small, for example an output area (OA), the lowest level of geography for which statistics are produced.
For higher levels of geography, more detailed statistics can be produced. When a lower level of geography is used, such as output areas (which have a minimum of 100 persons), the statistics produced have less detail. This is to protect the confidentiality of people and ensure that individuals or their characteristics cannot be identified.
Upper tier local authorities
Upper tier local authorities provide a range of local services. There are 152 upper tier local authorities in England made up of 59 unitary authorities, 36 metropolitan districts, 33 London boroughs (including City of London) and 24 counties. In Wales there are 22 upper tier local authorities, made up of 22 unitary authorities.
Census 2021 statistics are published for the whole of England and Wales. However, you can choose to filter areas by:
- country - for example, Wales
- region - for example, London
- local authority - for example, Cornwall
- health area – for example, Clinical Commissioning Group
- statistical area - for example, MSOA or LSOA
The ethnic group that the person completing the census feels they belong to. This could be based on their culture, family background, identity or physical appearance.
Respondents could choose one out of 19 tick-box response categories, including write-in response options.