- Figures include deaths of non-residents.
- Based on date a death was registered rather than occurred.
- All figures for 2020 are provisional.
- The International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Edition (ICD-10) definitions are as follows: coronavirus (COVID-19) (U07.1 and U07.2) and Influenza and Pneumonia (J09-J18).
- A death can be registered with both COVID-19 and Influenza and Pneumonia mentioned on the death certificate. Because pneumonia may be a consequence of COVID-19, deaths where both were mentioned have been counted only in the COVID-19 category.
- The number of deaths registered in Weeks 19, 20, 22 and 23 were impacted by the Early and Late May Bank Holidays (Friday 8 May 2020 in Week 19 and Monday 25 May 2020 in Week 22); the impact of the Early May Bank Holiday was analysed in our Week 20 bulletin.
Download this chart