Figure 10: The recent rise in crimes involving firearms is driven by a increase in unidentified firearm and “other firearm” offences
England and Wales, year ending March 2003 to year ending March 2019
Source: Home Office – Police recorded crime
- Police recorded crime data are not designated as National Statistics.
- More explicit guidelines for the classification of weapons introduced on 1 April 2004 may have increased the recording of firearm offences, particularly those committed by imitation weapons.
- Data are provisional and have not been reconciled with police forces.
- Imitation firearms include replica weapons, as well as low-powered weapons which fire small plastic pellets, such as BB guns and soft air weapons.
- Other firearms include CS gas and pepper spray, stun guns and other weapons.
- Figures exclude conventional air weapons, such as air rifles.
Download this chart