Figure 1: Age-standardised suicide rates: by sex, deaths registered in each year from 1981 to 2013
Source: Office for National Statistics, Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency, National Records of Scotland
- The National Statistics definition of suicide is given in the section 'Suicide definition'
- Figures are for persons aged 15 years and over
- Rates per 100,000 population, standardised to the European Standard Population (2013). Prior to 1994, the upper age group was 85+ rather than 90+
- Deaths of non-residents are included in figures for the UK
- Figures are for deaths registered in each calendar year
Download this chart