Find out about marriages that ended in divorce in England and Wales in 2012
1. There were 13 divorces an hour* in England and Wales in 2012.
2. This was a total of 118,140 divorces.
3. Almost half of these divorces occurred in the first 10 years of marriage.
4. Women were granted 65% of all divorces.
5. There were 9,703 men and 6,026 women aged over 60 who got divorced.
6. One in seven divorces were granted as a result of adultery.
7. There were 719 (less than 1%) divorces granted because of desertion.
8. The average age* at divorce was 45 for men and 42 for women.
9. Most divorces (71%) were for first marriages.
10. 9% of couples divorcing had both been divorced before.
11. 48% of couples divorcing had at least one child aged under 16 living with the family.
12. Divorces were most likely to occur between the 4th and 8th wedding anniversary.
13. It is expected that 42% of marriages will end in divorce.