Skip to content

Release: Expenditure on Healthcare in the UK, 2012

Released: 30 April 2014


Chris S Payne

Public Service Productivity

Telephone: +44 (0)1633 651660

Categories: Government, Central and Local Government, Public Service Productivity, Health and Social Care, Health Care System, Health Care Personnel, Finance and Performance

Frequency of release: Annually

Language: English

Geographical coverage: UK

Geographical breakdown: UK

  • Total expenditure on healthcare in 2012 was £144.5bn. Healthcare expenditure growth was strong between 1997 and 2009 with an average annual growth rate of 8.0%. Since 2009 growth rates have slowed significantly to an average of 1.5%.

  • Private healthcare expenditure fell by 1.4% in 2012 compared to 2011, while public healthcare expenditure rose by 2.5%.

  • Current expenditure on healthcare accounted for 96.4% of total healthcare expenditure in 2012. The remaining 3.6% of total healthcare expenditure was capital expenditure.

  • Total healthcare expenditure per capita in 2012 rose by 1.1% compared to 2011; of this, public healthcare expenditure per capita increased by 1.7% whilst private healthcare expenditure per capita fell by 2.1%.

  • Total healthcare expenditure as a share of GDP was measured amongst the lowest of the G7 countries (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, USA) with only Italy spending less as a share of their GDP across the series.

This release contains updated estimates for total healthcare expenditure in the UK between 1997 and 2012.  Estimates are also given for total expenditure on healthcare in the UK per capita, current and capital expenditure and public and private expenditure on healthcare in the UK and healthcare expenditure in the UK as a share of gross domestic product (GDP). International comparisons of total healthcare expenditure as a share of GDP are made with the G7 countries and the volume consumption of private healthcare expenditure is compared to other household consumption trends. All expenditure figures are consistent with international definitions provided by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD, 2011a and OECD, 2000) and presented in current price terms. OECD uses this data to publish international comparisons.

Content from the Office for National Statistics.
© Crown Copyright applies unless otherwise stated.