Telephone: +44 (0)1329 444972
Frequency of release: Decennial
Geographical coverage: England and Wales
Geographical breakdown: Local Authority and County
Survey name(s): Census
Of the 23.4 million homes (or households) in England and Wales on census day in March 2011, 15 million (64 per cent) were owner occupied and 8.3 million (36 per cent) were rented.
The majority (91 per cent) of owner occupied households lived in a whole house or bungalow, while for those renting, 56 per cent lived in houses while the remaining 44 per cent lived in other accommodation such as flats.
The most common number of bedrooms in a home was three. However, there were twice as many owner occupied households with three or more bedrooms (74 per cent) when compared with rented households (37 per cent).
Overall, two person households were the most common household size across England and Wales. However, looking only at rented accommodation, one person households were more frequent at 38 per cent.
Among owner occupied households containing one person, 90 per cent lived in homes with two or more bedrooms, compared with 49 per cent of one person households in rented homes.
Focusing on the household reference person (HRP) who is the oldest full-time worker in most households or a person chosen from the household based on their age and economic activity status, 76 per cent of those aged 65-74 owned their own homes - the highest across all age groups. The proportion of owner occupiers among those aged 25 to 34 has declined from 58 per cent in 2001 to 40 per cent in 2011.
Looking at the employment status of HRPs, owner occupiers were more likely to be in work than those renting, at 68 per cent and 57 per cent respectively.
This release 'Detailed Characteristics on housing for local authorities in England and Wales' follows the publication of the first Detailed Characterictics tables from the census in May 2013. The statistics included in this release focus on housing and provide detailed cross tabulations of this topic with one or more other topics from the census, adding to the detail provided in the previous releases of statistics for individual topics.
The analysis also included in this release focuses on accommodation type, number of bedrooms, household size and characteristics of household reference persons. Further analyses will be published during 2013.
The Detailed Characteristics tables included are all available from the Nomis website. Each table can be accessed directly using the links in the reference table (53 Kb Excel sheet) .
Three of the tables are provided for England and Wales and for constituent regions. Thirty one tables are provided for England and Wales and for constituent regions, counties, London boroughs, districts and unitary authorities.
During 2013 ONS will release additional cross tabulations of two or more census topics, and further statistics for lower levels of geography such as wards and super output areas. These will continue to provide an even richer and more valuable data source for the many users of the census.
Further information about the census estimates, including details about the methodology used and information about how other population sub-groups are counted and defined, is available in the 2011 Census user guide.
Further information on the fitness for purpose of the statistics in this release can be found in the Quality and Methodology Information
(157.6 Kb Pdf)
These National Statistics are produced to high professional standards and released according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.