Skip to content

Release: Labour Disputes, Annual Article 2012

Released: 04 July 2013

Contact

Mark Williams

BRES ASHE and Labour Disputes Branch

mark.williams@ons.gsi.gov.uk

Telephone: +44 (0)1633 456728

Categories: Labour Market, People in Work, Labour Disputes, Days Lost Due to Industrial Action, Collective Agreement, Employer-employee Dialogue

Frequency of release: Annually

Language: English

Geographical coverage: UK

Geographical breakdown: Region

Survey name(s): Labour Disputes Statistics

  • There were 248,800 working days lost through labour disputes in 2012, which compares to 1,389,700 in 2011.

  • There were 131 stoppages of work because of labour disputes in 2012. This compares with 149 stoppages in 2011 and 92 stoppages in 2010.

  • The majority of working days lost (79 per cent) were in the public sector, while the number of total stoppages (131) was more evenly split with 52 per cent in the Private sector with the remaining 48 per cent in the Public sector.

  • 68 per cent of working days lost were due to wage disputes.

Statistics on UK breakdown of labour disputes covering: number of working days lost and number of stoppages. The statistics relate to both 'strikes' and 'lockouts'.
Content from the Office for National Statistics.
© Crown Copyright applies unless otherwise stated.