BRES ASHE and Labour Disputes Branch
Telephone: +44 (0)1633 456721
Frequency of release: Annually
Geographical coverage: UK
Geographical breakdown: Region
Survey name(s): Labour Disputes Statistics
There were 365,300 working days lost through labour disputes in 2010, which compares to 455,200 in 2009.
There were 92 stoppages of work because of labour disputes in 2010, the lowest annual total since records began. The 2010 figure of 92 compares with 98 stoppages in 2009 and 144 stoppages in 2008.
The majority of working days lost (86 per cent) were in the public sector, while the number of total stoppages (92) was more evenly split with 51 per cent in the Public sector with the remaining 49 per cent in Private.
86 per cent of working days lost were due to redundancy disputes.
Statistics on UK breakdown of labour disputes covering: number of working days lost and number of stoppages. The statistics relate to both 'strikes' and 'lockouts'.