Maps are an excellent means of visualising and understanding geography, and the Beginners' Guide to UK Geography is accordingly supported by a range of reference maps.
These can be downloaded directly by clicking on the appropriate link.
The maps may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium for research, private study or internal circulation within an organisation, subject to being reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. Any other use of the material is prohibited without prior permission - please contact us.
Administrative geography maps
2) Regions (GORs) and their constituent counties / unitary authorities as at 2011
(641.3 Kb Pdf)
- Map also covers unitary authorities in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Northern Irish Health and Social Services Boards (HSSBs) are also shown.
3) UK counties and unitary administrations effective at 31st December, 2011 (2.02 Mb Pdf)
4a) All local authorities in the UK before 1 April 2009 (1.56 Mb Pdf)
4b) All local authorities in the UK effective at 31st December, 2011
(3.45 Mb Pdf)
- This structure was reorganised on 1 April 2009.
4c) All local authorities in the UK effective at 31st December, 2012 (7.1 Mb Pdf) - These maps include counties and districts in areas with a two tier local government structure.
5) London Region and the London boroughs effective at December, 2012 (180.5 Kb Pdf)
Health geography maps
1) UK regional health geography effective at 31st December, 2011
(2.06 Mb Pdf)
2) England and Wales primary care geography effective at 31st December, 2011 (2.84 Mb Pdf)
3) UK regional health geography effective at 1st April, 2013 (2.34 Mb Pdf)
4) England and Wales local health geography effective at 1st April, 2013 (3.92 Mb Pdf)
Electoral geography maps
1) Great Britain: Westminster parliamentary constituencies, 2010 (2.2 Mb Pdf)
Note: These are the boundaries that were in force on the day of the 2010 general election.
The boundaries for England and Wales have both changed since the previous general election.
Those for Scotland remain the same as at the May 2005 general election.
NUTS / LAU area maps - NUTS levels 1, 2 and 3 and LAU level 1
3) NUTS, level 1, 2 and 3 areas in Great Britain at December 2008 (7.91 Mb Pdf)
Maps of other geographies
1) National parks in Great Britain effective at 31st December, 2011 (2.43 Mb Pdf)
3) Registration districts in England and Wales effective at 31st December, 2012 (2.56 Mb Pdf)
Output Area and Super Output Area Maps
Reference (outline) PDF maps showing output areas and super output areas, used to present census statistics. Select a region to download a PDF map of output areas or super output areas for either 2001 or 2011.