1) The population figures for the London Borough of Islington for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 inclusive, showing the number of people from each ethnic group.
2) The population figures for the whole of London for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 inclusive broken down by each London borough, showing the number of people from each ethnic group.
3) The population figures for the UK for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 inclusive, showing the number of people from each ethnic group.
I believe that, under the FOIA, I am entitled to this information and I believe it can be provided within the time and cost limits set by the legislation. If you disagree, then please contact me to discuss this, in line with Section 16 of the FOIA.
Please treat points 1 to 3 above separately. In other words, if the information requested in one point is deemed exempt, this fact should not be used to justify refusal of the information sought in the other points. Please send me any information as it becomes available rather than delay the request until all the information can be collated.
Please find attached the following analysis as requested. The Annual Population Survey has been used to carry out this analysis. We have included 2 files:
1) London 2007-2011.xls (87 Kb Excel sheet) shows the estimated number of people in each London borough, and for London as a whole, by their ethnic group. This file includes separate results for Redbridge and for Islington as specified in the two FOI requests.
2) UK 2007-2011.xls (70.5 Kb Excel sheet) shows the estimated number of people in the UK, split by their ethnic group.
There is no data available at present for 2012, so this analysis has not been possible to complete.
Please pay attention to the footnote on each table which explain information on the figures in each table. Also - please note that in 2011, the categories for ethnicity changed in January and April. Therefore caution should be taken when comparing figures from 2011 with other years. Data for 2011 is shown separately for January-March and April-December and estimates for these periods should be added to provide an estimate for the year as a whole.
Please note that future analysis of APS data can be carried out through publicly available datasets held at the UK Data Archive (www.esds.ac.uk/government/aps/). If you require bespoke analysis then please visit the ONS web site which contains advice on how you can request this information (www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/who-we-are/services/unpublished-data/social-survey-data/index.html). Please note there may be a charge for bespoke analysis.
Also available are the Population Estimates by Ethnic Group (PEEG). The PEEGs are available for all local authorities in England and Wales broken down by sex and broad age groups. These estimates are only available for the years 2001 to 2009. These estimates are available using the following link: www.ons.gov.uk/ons/taxonomy/index.html?nscl=Population+Estimates+by+Ethnic+Group
More detailed versions of the PEEG estimates, including a breakdown by single year of age, are also available on request from ONS. The detailed versions of estimates for 2007, 2008 and 2009 can also be obtained from www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/what-we-do/publication-scheme/published-ad-hoc-data/population/june-2012/index.html by selecting reference numbers 000050, 000049 and 000041 respectively.
However, please note that the PEEGs are 'experimental' statistics meaning that they have not yet received formal National Statistics status. Therefore appropriate caution should be exercised when using and interpreting results from the PEEGs estimates. More information on the reliability of the estimates is available from this link: www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/peeg/population-estimates-by-ethnic-group--experimental-/current-estimates/peegs-notes-on-reliability-of-estimates.pdf