Maps are an excellent means of visualising and understanding geography, and the Beginners' Guide to UK Geography is accordingly supported by a range of reference maps.
These can be downloaded directly by clicking on the appropriate link.
The maps may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium for research, private study or internal circulation within an organisation, subject to being reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading context. Any other use of the material is prohibited without prior permission.
Administrative geography maps
1) Regions (former Government Office Regions (GORS)) effective at 31st December, 2011
2) Regions (GORs) and their constituent counties / unitary authorities as at 2011
3a) All local authorities in the UK as at March 2009
3b) All local authorities in the UK effective at 31st December, 2012
4) London Region and the London boroughs effective at December, 2012
Health geography maps
1) UK regional health geography effective at April 2013
2) UK regional health geography effective at 31st December, 2011
3) England and Wales local health geography effective at 1st April, 2013
4) England and Wales primary care geography effective at January 2012
Electoral geography maps
1) Great Britain: Westminster parliamentary constituencies, May 2010
Note: These are the boundaries that were in force on the day of the 2010 general election.
The boundaries for England and Wales have both changed since the previous general election.
Those for Scotland remain the same as at the May 2005 general election.
NUTS / LAU area maps - NUTS levels 1, 2 and 3 and LAU level 1
1) NUTS levels 1, 2 and 3 areas in Great Britain effective at 1st January, 2012
2) NUTS, level 1, 2 and 3 areas in Great Britain at December 2008
3) NUTS level 1 and LAU level 1 areas in Great Britain effective at 1st January, 2012
4) NUTS, level 1 and LAU, level 1 areas in Great Britain at December 2010
Maps of other geographies
1) National parks in Great Britain effective at 31st December, 2011
2) Travel-to-Work Areas (TTWAs) 2001, United Kingdom
3) Registration districts in England and Wales effective at 31st December, 2012
Output Area and Super Output Area Maps
Reference (outline) PDF maps showing output areas and super output areas, used to present census statistics. Select a region to download a PDF map of output areas or super output areas for 2011.
Yorkshire and The Humber
East of England